Tuesday, March 19, 2019

I Can't Complain (But Sometimes I Still Do)

I think I'm complaining too much.

If you look for things to grumble about, you can usually find something. Oh, the laundry is never done. Or the dishes are never done. Or I have to go out and shovel snow again. There's always something to complain about, if that's what you want to do.

But, when I step back and look at the big picture, life is pretty darn good! I've got a beautiful wife who loves me. She's my best friend and my co-conspirator. She makes me smile in ways that I never would have thought possible before I met her.

I have four healthy, fun, wonderful kids. They continually amaze and amuse me. As they grow and learn, I grow and learn right alongside them. (And by "growing" I mean I'm becoming a better person, not a bigger person--although there is some of that due to all of the candies and desserts that kids ask for that I occasionally "help" them eat.) My kids aren't perfect, but, by gosh, my life is so much better because they are in it.

Life's been good to me! (So far.)

I have a nice house to live in, reliable vehicles to drive, and plenty of food to eat. Not only do I have fresh, clean water at my fingertips inside my home any time I want it, but I can have that water at any temperature I'd like! (As long as I'm willing to wait 45 seconds for the hot water heater to do its job.)

We have access to practically every bit of information imaginable, right in the palm of our hand, from "who was the 11th President of the United States of America?" (James K. Polk.) to "how do I cook chicken for dinner?" (Put it in the crockpot with some barbecue sauce for four hours.)

So, the next time you want to gripe because that one guy is driving too slow in the fast lane, or you're upset because there's still a cold spot in those leftovers you warmed up in the microwave, try to remember just how good things really are.

And if you catch me complaining too much, feel free to whack my upside the head and tell me, "Hey, Joe, life is good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment