Friday, January 29, 2016

Donald Trump? Really???

Ten years ago, if you told me a narcissistic, loud-mouthed, arrogant reality television star would be one of the leading candidates for President of the United States, I would have said your were insane.

But, if I had to choose a narcissistic, loud-mouthed, arrogant reality television star from ten years ago to be the President of the United States, I'd choose Simon Cowell from American Idol over Donald Trump any day of the week.

At least I can believe most of what Simon Cowell says. He's strong and decisive and honest.

It's too bad he's British.

Instead, we have Donald Trump: legitimate candidate for president.

Donald Trump?

Really???

Donald Trump?

Reality television star Donald Trump

Now, I'm not a person who gets political very often. I'd much rather write about farts. Or donuts. Or farting donuts. And yet, here I am writing about the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination. Donald Trump.

I can see where some people might think that Donald Trump is an entertaining television character. I can not see how anyone could see him as even remotely presidential.

Do we really want a President of the United States who calls women bimbos? Do we really want a president who says he can walk out onto Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody without losing any support? Do we really want a president who thinks Senator John McCain isn't a war hero? Do we really want a president who gets into a war of words with Rosie O'Donnell?

If he can't handle some harsh words with Rosie, how's he going to deal with Putin?

There's been a lot of noise about Donald Trump, but I really wasn't worried about him actually getting elected. Then I remembered that the good people of the state of California elected the star of Kindergarten Cop to be their governor. Twice!

So, if Arnold Schwarzenegger can be elected, why not Donald Trump? (That being said, I'd much rather that the President of the United States be the star of Jingle All the Way instead of the star of The Apprentice.)

The scary thing is, Donald Trump is still acting like the star of a reality television show, only it's now on every channel all the time. Like someone competing on a reality television show, he is saying what he thinks will most help him stay in the game longer, whether he actually believes it or not.

Donald Trump is about as authentic as his hairdo.

Let's just hope the American people are smart enough to vote him off of the island.




No comments:

Post a Comment