Friday, March 24, 2017

Just Another Number

I have a name, but no one seems to care.

When I go to do taxes, they want my Social Security number.
When I get called in to do a random drug test, they want my driver's license number.
When I go to purchase something online, they want my credit card number.
When they want my credit card number, they also want that super-secret three-digit security code number that's on the back of my credit card.
When I try to pay for fuel with my credit card, they want my zip code.
When I try to get a prescription, they want my date of birth.
When I try to refill a prescription, they want my prescription number.
When I try to get a subscription, they want my address.
When I try to fill out my address, they want my apartment number.
When I try to buy something at Kmart or Radio Shack, they want my phone number. (Yes, there are still a few Kmarts and Radio Shacks out there.)
When I try to buy anything they need to scan the bar code number.

Be sure not to confuse the Item Number with the Bar Code Number, because while they are similar, they are not quite the same. (And it does make a difference.)
When I place my order for a burger at Carl's Jr., they want me to take a number, place it on my table, and they will bring my order out to me. (Then they will take my number and give it to somebody else.)
When I try to get money from the bank, they want my PIN number.
When I try to put money into the bank, they want my account number.
When I try to register my car, they want the VIN number.
When I buy a new appliance they want me to register it by sending them the serial number.
When I go to look at the instruction manual for my new appliance, I need to know the model number. (Because one instruction manual will cover several different model numbers.)
When I want to win the lottery they ask for my lucky numbers. (But they won't give me the money unless my lucky numbers are the same as their lucky numbers.)
When I want to change the channel on the television, I enter the channel number.
When I want to watch something different, the "Shows You Might Like" section usually recommends the show NUMB3RS.

I guess you could say that the way numbers impact us is innumerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment