Friday, March 30, 2018

Spring Break! (Utah Style)

It's spring break in Utah! The sun is shining. The temperature is nice. It's time to put away all your winter coats and gloves and boots. No more long sleeves.

Spring is here and it's beautiful. The grass is growing. Flowers are blooming. Popcorn is popping on the fruit trees. (NOTE: That's not really popcorn! Please don't eat it.) It's a wonderful day!

Popcorn popping on the apricot tree.

Wait.

Snow? Really? Yes, snow. It's really coming down. Get out the snow shovels. We might get several inches, especially up in the benches. Hey, aren't we supposed to have an Easter egg hunt tomorrow? Whoever heard of having an Easter egg hunt in the snow? This is crazy.

Wait.

It's nice again. All eight inches of snow melted off before noon. Put the snow shovels away, we won't be needing them anymore. It's about time to get the sprinklers ready. Where are my shorts?

Wait.

It's just a little rain storm. We can use the moisture. [Nine days later.] Is it ever going to stop raining? I don't know if I remember what the sun even looks like. Everything is so wet. And why are that guy's sprinklers on? Nine straight days of rain and his lawn needs more water?

Wait.

My, the sun has really dried out the lawn. 85 degrees? Wow, that's pretty hot. Why don't they open the swimming pools? Can't they see we need the swimming pools open? I have to turn on the air conditioner.

Wait.

Snow? Again? I really shouldn't have my sprinklers going when there is snow on the ground, should I? (But those icicles sure are pretty!) Brrr, I think I need to turn off the air conditioner and get the furnace fired up again.

Wait.

It's just a little breeze. Okay, that's not a breeze, it's a gust. It just blew over the swing set. I think the trampoline from three doors down just landed in our backyard. My sprinklers are on, but all the water is blowing onto my neighbor's lawn.

Wait.

It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining. There's a light breeze. Gee, those flowers sure look pretty. It's not too hat. It's not too cold. Everything is perfect. Welcome to spring in Utah.

Wait...


Edited from a post originally published on 5/17/16.

No comments:

Post a Comment