Friday, February 19, 2016

Taco Bell Does It Again!

Congratulations, Taco Bell, you've done it again!

I really didn't think it could be done. I thought they had exhausted every word combination and ingredient configuration possible. That's what I get for underestimating the geniuses at Taco Bell.

The other day I was watching the television and I saw a commercial for a new Taco Bell product called a quesalupa. What in the world is a quesalupa, you ask? In the fine Taco Bell tradition, it's the combination of two other Taco Bell menu items, which can be summarized by a simple math equation:

Quesalupa = quesadilla + chalupa

Yes, they combined a quesadilla and a chalupa and came up with quesalupa. I'm not sure who to be more proud of: 1) Taco Bell's ingredient-combining people or B) Taco Bell's word-combining people.

What's in a quesalupa, you ask? Well, there's tortilla, cheese, meat, beans, lettuce, and tomatoes. Just like every other item on the Taco Bell menu.

The Breakfast Quesalupa!!! (Because everything's better with sausage!)

I used to think "chalupa" was just a word made up by Taco Bell, but after some intense research on Wikipedia, (which is correct more than 72% of the time,) people in some parts of Mexico actually eat a food product called a chalupa. Also, chalupa literally means "small boat." (It's too bad Jack and Rose didn't have a chalupa when the Titanic sank.)

This isn't the first time Taco Bell has combined words and ingredients to make a new product. In the past they've offered the quesarito.

Quesarito = quesadilla + burrito

Also, they had the enchirito.

Enchirito = enchilada + burrito

My personal favorite, however, has to be the gordita

Gordita = gordo (the Spanish word for "fat") + senorita (the Spanish word for girl)
Therefore gordita literally means "fat girl." (The people in Taco Bell management must have been asleep at the wheel when the word-combining people slipped that one through.)

I wonder what's next? I think I'd like to offer my word-combining skills to the folks at Taco Bell. Here are a few of my suggestions:

Nachorito = nacho + burrito

Burraco = burrito + taco

Enchitada = enchilada + tostada

And, finally:

Quesomuerte = queso (the Spanish word for "cheese") + muerte (the Spanish word for "death") Or, literally, "the cheesy death."


No comments:

Post a Comment