Tuesday, April 2, 2019

You Won't Have Memories Unless You Do Something Memorable

I got on Facebook the other day, and one of those "Memories" popped up, showing something I had posted a few years ago. It was a really cute video of my daughter. My wife was holding up Skittles and asking her what color they were. When she got to the green Skittle, my daughter declared it was "Hulk Smash" color. It was very cute.

A few days earlier, another "Memory" popped up. This one was a picture of one of my daughters sitting on the floor of our pantry, eating from a large pile of Cheerios she created by dumping a full box on the ground. It also was very cute.

Whenever those memories pop up, they make me smile. It's fun to think back on happy times and fun things that we did in the past. But then I started thinking...have I done anything this week that I would want to remember years from now?

What have you done lately that you'll want to remember?

Remembering the past is all good and well, but we actually live in the present. I spend a lot of time sitting around staring at my phone. That's not something I'm going to want to remember in the future. We won't have any memories unless we do something memorable.

So, I've made up my mind to spend more time doing things that I'll actually want to remember. I'll play with the kids more. I'll go to the park with the kids. I'll play games with them. I'll go on dates with my wife. I'll do things instead of reading about what other people have done.

Memories are great, but they'll be even better if we're living right now in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment