Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Life Is Full of Disappointments

Life is full of disappointments.

I was at Arby's the other day when a mom and her three year-old daughter came from the counter to take a seat. The conversation went like this:

Mom: "Where do you want to sit?"
Three Year-Old Girl: "By the jumpy place! By the jumpy place!"

(The Three Year-Old Girl looks around and sees that there is no play area for kids.)

Three Year-Old Girl: "I don't want to stay here!"
Mom: "Where do you want to sit?"
Three Year-Old Girl: "I don't want to stay here! I don't want to stay here!"

(The Three Year-Old Girl stomps her feet repeatedly.)
(The Mom sits down at a table.)

Mom: "Let's sit here."
Three Year-Old Girl: "Noooooooooooo!!!"

*************************************************************************

Yes, life is full of disappointments. It's something that Three Year-Old Arby's Girl is going to have to get used to. It's something she's going to have to learn how to handle better.

I'm a grown man. I'm a grown man who is a lifelong fan of the Minnesota Vikings. I've dealt with a few disappointments in my life. (But, dang, that Teddy Bridgewater injury was really not fair!) At some point we all have to learn how to deal with these disappointments with grace.

But, there are occasionally still times when I feel like reacting to disappointment like Three Year-Old Arby's Girl.

Take this year's presidential election, for example. Three Year-Old Arby's Girl walked into Arby's thinking she'd get some food and have some fun at the kid's play area. I went into this election thinking I'd find a viable candidate that I would want to vote for as president.

Eventually, Three Year-Old Arby's Girl looked around, noticed that there was no kid's play area, and was not happy. I looked around, noticed the two-party system gave us the two most unlikable presidential candidates in the history of America, and was not happy.

Nope!
Nope!















Three Year-Old Arby's Girl threw a fit, stomped her feet repeatedly, and yelled, "Nooooooo!!!" I have not yet thrown a fit, but I'm about ready to stomp my feet and yell, "Noooooooooo!!!"

(At least Three Year-Old Arby's Girl might get to eat a delicious Beef 'N Cheddar. Me, I got nothing. I'm very disappointed. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to deal with it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment